Social Concerns Committee
The purpose of the Social Soncerns Committee is twofold:
1. Direct Service: reaching out to assist people in need;
2. Advocacy: advocacy for social action on the issues of social justice.
Throughout the year the Social Concerns Committee works to:
· Assist parishioners in need;
· Provide Thanksgiving gifts to Sacred Heart members who are homebound or in assisted living;
· Arrange for church bus volunteers as escorts for persons with special needs on designated Sundays;
· Put people in touch with agencies that serve their particular needs;
· Assist with the needs of our sister parish, Our Lady of Sorrows, Kyle, SD;
· Coordinate the sub-committee for Habitat for Humanity;
· Assist community churches and agencies with the Community Meals by cooking and serving meals;
· Promote Respect Life issues;
· Create an active Ministry of Caring (medial /grief) in our parish;
· Provide emergency vouchers for people in need of one time help;
· Provide vouchers for families in need at Christmas time;
· Help coordinate the Adopt a family for Christmas project;
· Foster awareness, education and advocacy about social justice issues, and
· Help with other social issues as they arise.
(Many of these activities are handled by small sub-committees within the Social Concerns Committee.)
The Social Concerns Committee meets on the 1st Tuesday of the month. The Chairperson is Pat Born.
If you are interested in taking part in this group, please call the parish office at 507-835-1222 or contact Pat Born at 507-835-1353.